Air Pollution , causes , effects , prevention.
Pollution may be defined as the undesirable change in the physical. Chemical or biological aspects of environment. It makes it harmful for humans. For others living – organisms. There are various types of pollution. Such as air pollution, water pollution, noise pollution.
The context of the recent condition of Delhi. It was an extremely hazardous issue. Air pollution refers to the degradation. Or deterioration in the quality of air. It is called air pollution. It is the release into the atmosphere of materials in concentrations. They are harmful to man, other animals. Plants and other biotic and biotic objects.
Causes of Air Pollution.
There are two main causes of Air pollution are. :-
1. Nature Activities.
Volcanic eruptions, earthquakes. Dust, storms, Forest fire, etc. Releases harmful gases. Hence, cause air pollution.
2. Human Activities.
- Use of fertilizers pesticides in agricultural field. It pollutes the air.
- Burning of fossils fuels.
- Thermal power plants pollute air. By emitting sulphur dioxide and fly ash.
- Industries pollute air by releasing. Various types of pollutants. Such as SO2, Oxides of carbon, Nitrogen oxide, etc.
- Deforestation leads to decrement in the density of trees. In jungles. Hence, causing another CO2 menace.
- Use of CFCs in refrigeration. Fire extinguishers and aerosal sprays. It pollutes air by depleting the ozone layer.
Effects of Air Pollution.
- Air pollution affects respiratory system. It causing breathing difficulties and diseases. Such as asthma, lung cancer, bronchitis & pneumonia.
- Lead affects central nervous system.
- Air pollution causes depletion of ozone layer. Due to which UV-rays can reach the earth. It causes skin cancer, damage eyes. Also causes immune system.
- It causes acid rain, which damages crop, plants. Trees, building, monuments, statues, etc.
- It causes greenhouse effect or global warming. It leads to excessive heating of earth, s atmosphere. Due to global warming. Ice will melt. Hence, the sea level will rise and would cause floods.
- Pesticides like DDT which are toxic in nature. It can enter into food. Get accumulated in the body. They causing kidney disorders and mental problems.
Prevention and Control.
- Dilution of emission can be accomplished by. Using the tall chimneys or stacks. High chimneys can be useful in preventing the pollution. To dwell at ground level.
- Air pollution filtering at source:
- The air pollution problems can be reduced at the source. By adopting the following:-
- Substituting the raw material.
- Modification of process:- It involves new techniques with lowering atmosphere pollutants. Example – Double catalyst double absorber. (DCDA) process was developed to reduce SO2. It emission in stack gases.
- Equipment alternations:- Such as the floating roof tanks. Rather than vented tank can cut down on the evaporation losses.